Wangary Accommodation, Hotels, Tours & Information

Wangary

Although the township itself was not surveyed until 1882, pastoral leases had been taken out in the Wangary and surrounding areas much earlier. There are many stone buildings from the early period of settlement still to be seen today. Two of these, Stone Farm (built over 100 years ago) found on the left of the main road from Port Lincoln and a little further on as you enter Wangary, the lovely Anglican Church (built in 1900). The township has limited facilities, however the ''Old Hotel' (no longer licensed) provides fuel, bait, ice, take-away food and drinks as well as souvenirs. Wangary also has a licensed community sports club, an oval and tennis courts all available for hire. To the east of the township is Lake Wangary, a small but permanently fresh water lake, one of the few on the Peninsula. At nearby Mount Dutton Bay the recently restored heritage listed jetty and woolshed date back to the era when ketches serviced this area to bring provisions and take away wheat and wool from the farmers. The woolshed, built by Price Maurice in 1875, provided warehouse space for these provisions from 1880 to 1945. A trip to Farm Beach is worthwhile with a spectacular beach and camping ground. The beautiful drive on beach is ideal for boat launching in the summer months. A great spot for picnics and beach or rock fishing. Renowned for its excellent fishing, this beach requires tractors to launch and retrieve fishing boats, hence the name. To the north lies Gallipoli Beach where in 1981 the Anzac Cove scenes for the world famous Australian production of Gallipoli were filmed.

Wangary Map

Loading map, please wait...
Wangary Map - Legend
Multiple Hotels
Hotel
Click on the map markers for more information. Hover over the map to zoom in & out or see satellite & terrain views.

Wangary